Good morning everybody! I hope you all had a lovely Memorial day week-end! It wasn’t exactly perfect summer weather in my neck of the woods, but it was still a lovely time (with lots of good food!) 🙂
As for this recipe, I’ve been meaning to share it with you for a few weeks now, but i haven’t been able to get around to posting it before now- so my apologies! We’ve been making these little cakes so many times with-in the past month that we could probably win an award by now! lol 😉 They are the perfect desert when bringing something to parties, picnics, church dinners etc. and once you get the hang of making them they really are pretty easy! 🙂
For the Yellow Cake:
3 cups cake flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 & 1/3 cups sugar
6 large egg yolks
1 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
The White Chocolate Coating:
- 16 oz. white chocolate melting chips
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
The Dark Chocolate Drizzle:
- 4 oz. dark chocolate melting chips
- 1/2 tsp. Oil
To make the Yellow Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until soft and creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add egg yolks, in two batches, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture (in three additions), and milk (in two additions), beginning and ending with the flour.
- Pour batter into a greased 15×10-inch jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
- Place the cake on a wire rack to cool, in their pans, for about 10 minutes. Then remove the cake from the pan and place onto a greased rack to cool completely.
Use a biscuit cutter or other round cutter to cut an even number of circles in the cake. Try to cut the circles close together to maximize the number of cakes. close together in the cake.
* Yellow Cake recipe is adapted from the Joy of Baking.
- While the cake is cooling, cream together butter and shortening until smooth.
- Slowly add the milk, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Continue beating on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Place the flat side of one cake circle face down. Spread filling on the top.
- Top with another cake circle, flat side up. Repeat with all the cakes.
- Place the cakes on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
White Chocolate Coating:
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate chips and shortening, stopping to mix every 30 seconds.
- Once fully melted and combined, place a cake in the bowl and gently spoon the melted chocolate over the top.
- Slide a fork under the cake and lift it out, pausing to let the excess drip off.
- Place the cake back on waxed paper. Repeat with all the cakes, then let sit at room temperature until coating is set.
* White Chocolate Coating recipe is adapted from the Confessions of a Cookbook Queen blog.
Dark Chocolate Drizzle:
- When the coated cakes have set, melt the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, stopping to mix every 30 seconds.
- Drizzle over the top of the cakes.
Happy Baking & Bon Appètit!
Credit: Google Images